If you're a fan of rich, bold coffee, then making espresso at home is a great way to start your day. While it may seem intimidating at first, with the right equipment and a little practice, you can create a delicious shot of espresso right in your own kitchen. Espresso is a concentrated coffee that's brewed under high pressure, resulting in a bold flavour and a rich crema on top. In this guide, we'll walk you through the basics of making espresso at home, including the materials you'll need and the steps to follow to brew the perfect shot. Whether you're a seasoned barista or a beginner, making espresso at home is a great way to take your coffee game to the next level.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Espresso machine
- Spring Valley Coffee Espresso beans
- Coffee grinder
- Shot glass or espresso cup
- Fill the water reservoir of your espresso machine and turn it on to preheat. Follow the instructions that came with your machine for specific heating times.
- While the machine is heating up, grind your coffee beans to a fine consistency. You'll need about 7 grams of coffee for a single shot and 14 grams for a double shot.
- Use a tamper to pack the coffee grounds into the portafilter of the espresso machine. Tamp the coffee firmly, but don't press too hard.
- Place the portafilter into the machine and start the brewing process. This will depend on your specific machine, but for most machines, the process should take around 20-30 seconds.
- Once the shot is finished brewing, pour it into a shot glass or espresso cup. The crema should be a reddish-brown colour and should be smooth and silky to the touch.
- If desired, you can add a small amount of hot water to make an Americano or frothed milk to make a latte or cappuccino.
Making espresso at home is a great way to enjoy a delicious and rich cup of coffee. By following these steps and using the right materials, you'll be able to make a great shot of espresso in no time. Enjoy!